Ever since I found Pink Penguin’s blog, I have been intrigued by Zakka sewing. I was thrilled when my mom gave me
a copy of the book Zakka Style by Rashida Coleman-Hale just before the start of the Zakka Style Sew Along. As soon as I
saw these potholders, I knew that I had to make some for my kitchen. Most of my
kitchen accoutrements are blue or orange, but I wasn’t feeling inspired by the
orange fabrics in my stash. The yellow Half Moon Modern dots led me to a blue
and yellow palette that I find especially cheerful.
Of course, I’m not one to follow
a pattern when I can find room to make it my own. Since I didn’t have any linen
on hand, I used 100% quilting cottons, which I cut into 1.5” and 2.5” strips. I
didn’t see the point of binding the pockets, so I just traced the pattern along
the fold of the backing fabrics. After digging through my scraps, I found
enough 2” double-fold binding to bind both potholders. This is the first time
ever that I bound something curved! Speaking of binding, if you make these potholders,
check out the corrected instructions on retro mama’s blog before you start.
Incorrect instructions aside, these potholders were quick and easy, which is
just what I needed.
of a quilt can be interesting at times. This one started when a friend of mine
told me she was expecting a little girl. Her colors were purple and pink, and
her theme was flowers and butterflies. Since I didn’t have many pink fabrics in
my stash, I bought a few half yards and pulled more fabrics from my shelves.
The stack sat and sat until I decided on a pattern. I knew I wanted to use
half-square triangles, but was stuck until I saw Cluck Cluck Sew’sScrappy Chevron quilt. Then I had to swap out fabrics until I had an equal number of
light pinks and dark purples. Each block is a chevron made from one purple
print and one pink print. I made more blocks than necessary so that I could
rearrange them until the zigzags turned out how I wanted them to.
baby quilt was especially satisfying. I used two colors of thread, pink in the
pink zigzags and purple in the purple zigzags and followed the seams. The back
is a flowery print that I’ve used for a backing before. The binding is Thistle,
a Kona solid. I am quite satisfied with the results and can’t wait to give it
to its new owner.
Kids sure are messy. It never
ceases to amaze me how messy my sweet girl can be when she eats. She can decimate
a bib in no time flat, so when I saw the baprons (baby aprons) that Jess at Craftiness is not Optional had made, I knew I had to make some myself. There was no flannel in my
stash, so I made a little quilt sandwich and quilted them by machine. If only I
had started sooner! The pattern that Jess so generously shared is not quite big
enough for my growing girl. These baprons just barely fit right now, but she will
most likely outgrow them before she wears them out. I plan to enlarge the
pattern, though, because baprons are just too dang cute! (Also, she can’t rip
them off like she can rip off traditional bibs.) I love the two I made out of
stashed fabrics and binding scraps, even though they aren’t my best work.
Baprons are the perfect size to experiment with different quilting techniques
and I had fun trying out free motion quilting for the first time. I need to
make plenty more baprons before I can move on to free motion quilting on actual
quilts. In the mean time, I enjoy gazing across our dining room table at my
sweet daughter enjoying her meal while wearing something I made. Eventually I
intend to sew actual clothes for her, but in the meantime, I will enjoy the
My first introduction to modern
quilting was via FunQuilts, now known as Modern Quilt Studio. I have long
admired their patterns. The first one I chose to make was a freebie from their
website. Between the Lines is simple, small, and perfect for showcasing
favorite prints, such as the ones I hoarded from Benartex’s Paris Cats line.
I finished piecing the top in July 2010,
while I was pregnant with my sweet daughter. It sat neglected as my focus
shifted to the challenges of pregnancy and then caring for an infant. After I
finished the twin-sized Kitty Kaleidoscope for my sweet girl last December, I
decided that this quilt would be the perfect crib quilt for her, even though
she already has quite a few baby quilts made by family and friends. I machined
quilted in the ditch along the purple sashing, and then added some hand
quilting to one block in each row for added interest. I finished this quilt in
May 2012, close to two years after I started it.
When I presented it to my sweet daughter,
she said “Ooooooh!” High prize from a toddler! She then promptly used it to
cover one of her dolls. Guess I need to make a matching doll quilt now.