Monday, April 14, 2014

Spring Top Sewalong and Me-Made-May


I don’t know what it is about Spring that makes me want to sew garments, but it does. After a brief respite following my semi-failed Catnap Dress, I am once again excited about sewing my own clothes. It doesn’t hurt that there are currently two online events that I’d like to participate in: the Spring Top Sewalong, which encourages the making of garments and Me-Made-May, which encourages the wearing of handmade items. They dovetail nicely, as during the first event (April 14-May 11) I can make tops to wear for the duration of the second event (May 1-May 31). In fact, this weekend I started a Wiksten tank out of my Catnap leftovers. Yep, that’s Wiksten tank #5 for this girl. I really need to branch out, as reflected in my Me-Made-May pledge:


'I, Rachel of Snippets of Sweetness, sign up as a participant of Me-Made-May '14. I endeavor to wear one handmade garment each day for the duration of May 2014 and to make one garment in May 2014 out of a new-to-me pattern or fabric type.'


From my current stash of fabrics and patterns, I have two choices for my new-to-me garment: a modified Staple Dress shirt out of voile, or a Taffy Blouse out of quilting cotton. The voile shirt is the top candidate at the moment, as I suspect I will have better luck with new patterns in the future if I’m comfortable with a wider range of fabric types.



I will post my finishes here on the blog, but feel free to follow along with my progress on Instagram (@snippetsofsweetness) or Flickr (@snippetsofsweetness!).



me-made-may'14

2 comments:

  1. Excited to see you continue exploring the world of garment sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see what you end up making! I get spring garment making fever too!

    ReplyDelete