Friday, December 12, 2014

Scrap Migration Quilt


Did you know that the Seattle Modern Quilt Guild will have a new exhibit early next year? In celebration of the guild turning five years old, there will be a My MODERN exhibit at Island Quilter from January 2 to February 5, 2015. Previously, I have entered preexisting quilts in the guild exhibits, but this time, I was inspired to make a brand new quilt especially for this exhibit.


Scrap Migration came about because the construction of my Patriotic X and Plus Quilt resulted in a pile of leftover half-square triangles. I knew I wanted to use alternate grid work and end up with a quilt 36” square, and the design just evolved from there. Those lonely half-square triangle blocks became scrappy flying geese set against an improvisational pieced background.


The top and binding of Scrap Migration are made entirely of scraps from other quilts, and the back is made from scraps and stash fabric. Even the batting was leftover from another project. How’s that for using what’s on hand? In fact, I’m almost completely out of white scraps now. Guess I’ll just have to start a new quilt!



Linking up to Scraptastic Tuesday at She Can Quilt.



6 comments:

  1. I love your little quilt, it will look great in the exhibit. It's also such a lovely use of your scraps, you could join the scrappy link on my blog from Tuesday too if you liked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh this turned out lovely, Rachel! I like the red against that scrappy background. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the movement this quilt has! A beautiful finish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this, especially the polka dots!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous use of scraps and it just goes to how what beauty can result from what others would throw away! Thanks for linking up with #scraptastictuesday and sharing it!

    ReplyDelete