Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Quilt The Book Challenge

A few months ago, I read a couple of posts at Blue Elephant Stitches about a new sewing challenge. The idea was to pick a quilting book and sew every single quilt from it. As a book lover, this challenge really appealed to me. Since it's a casual, deadline free challenge, I decided to join in. For my book, I chose Savor Each Stitch, by Carolyn Friedlander. Here are a few reasons why I chose that particular book:

  • I took a class from Carolyn at QuiltCon and am now a huge fan.
  • The book is very thoughtfully written, and I keep coming back to it again and again.
  • Most of the patterns are small, or have a smaller option, such as a wall quilt, a table runner or coasters. I don't have time to make eight full sized quilts, on top of everything else I want to make!
  • I've been craving handwork recently, and four of the eight patterns are needlepoint appliqué. (I am also tempted by Carolyn’s Collection Quilt pattern.)
  • I previously made the Aerial Grove pattern and loved it. (I also want to make another one!)
  • I started the Emphasis pattern in the aforementioned class at QuiltCon and could use some extra motivation to finish it.
  • This book includes a whole cloth quilt, which I have not done before.
I'm also layering on an additional level of challenge. As much as possible, I'm going to try to make these projects with fabrics already in my stash. I've already completed the Arcs Quilt and will post about it soon. So far, I am loving this challenge!

If you'd like to join the Quilt the Book challenge as well, it's super easy. All you have to do is post pictures of your projects on Instagram with the hashtag #quiltthebook or upload them to the Flickr group. I can't wait to see what everyone makes!

1 comment:

  1. Very cool! I'm looking forward to seeing your next finish!

    ReplyDelete